About Sensory Smart Parent Sensory Issues Parenting with Sensory Smarts OT for Sensory Smarts Practical Tips
Sensory Diet Toys & Equipment Resources Contact Sensory Smart Parent Blog
Buy The Book ~ Raising A Sensory Smart Child

504 plans

If your child with sensory issues doesn’t receive special education services, he can still get help through a 504 plan. A 504 plan is a formal document that states what accommodations must be made for your child, such as allowing her to eat lunch somewhere other than the noisy cafeteria, having more time allotted for taking tests, and so on.


If your child receives special ed services, his IEP will spell out specifics such as school accommodations (preferential seating, sensory diet activities and others), assistive technology, therapeutic and educational goals, and mandates for related services such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech therapy. A wonderful book for helping you understand the IEP process and your rights, deal effectively with the school system, and resolve disputes is The Complete IEP Guide: How to Advocate for Your Special Ed Child by Lawrence M. Siegel. You may also want to check Wrightslaw for articles, information, and a blog on special education rights.

CLICK HERE to buy Raising a Sensory Smart Child and learn more about sensory smarts at school.

|| 504 Plans & IEP's ||

Avoiding Sensory Overload at School

Trouble at Circle Time and Listening Time

Tests, Classroom Assignments, and Organization

Help from School-Based Occupational Therapists


Powered by Google
Newsletter Sign Up
Disclaimer & Terms
© Nancy Peske
For more information about Nancy, check
out her website at